19.3.11

Swap you one Monster Munch for eight Skips...


Well you would, wouldn't you? Skips are the most ephemeral, nonsense crisp of all time. If you really need the prawn cocktail hit, go and buy some Walkers Prawn Cocktail crisps right?

I was having a delicious packet of Hula Hoops with my flatmate last night, and we agreed, in between munching on mouthfuls of those cylindrical beauties, that they are the best alternative crisp around (i.e. not a traditional crisp shape). The crisps that stood the test of time.

I like to think of the Hula Hoop as a benchmark. So if you are planning on swapping a Hula Hoop for a Monster Munch, which is also a fine alternative crips, you may want to exchange it on a 1:1 basis. Fair deal.

If however you were accosted by someone bearing a bag of Skips, which just melt away in the mouth (and are therefore pointless), it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask for at least eight of their stash. So that should be 1:8.

Here I am going to show some more examples, using some crisps I have long been fond of.

1) Hedgehog Crisps


Hedgehog Crisps aren't flavoured with hedgehogs. They're flavoured with pork fat. Or at least they were, as I haven't seen them around for years. No word of a lie - the company that made them were taken to court by the Office of Fair Trading on a charge of false advertising. Don't worry, they won in the end. I could only find these at my sister's school for some reason, and they were delish.

Swap rating: 1:1.5

2) Football Crazy Crisps


These football-shaped badboys brought two of my great loves together - football and bacon. The gourmet's choice. Roy Keane wouldn't have minded you scoffing these in the terraces. If you saved up a morbidly obese / bank-breaking amount of packets, you could send them off and get your team's shirt in return.

Swap rating: 1:1

3) Burton's Fish and Chip Crisps

These came, shock of shocks, shaped as fish and chips. They didn't taste of much. But the brown dust that was liberally sprinkled over them did. Think I liked the idea more than the reality. I don't remind them being easy to find, but that was probably for the best.

Swap rating: 1:4

4) Monster Munch


A true classic. There's only one flavour for the true connoiseur - pickled onion. These gurn-tastic monster paws of joy are a beautiful thing to behold. I would love to see how these are made. Or maybe I wouldn't. Maybe it would be gross.

Swap rating: 1:1