16.12.11

Merci 2011



Back in January, I took this serious resolution: this year, I'm going to slow down on gigs and get more nights at home to watch all these films that I should have seen. Well, to put it simply, it was a big FAIL. Now that I have to look back on my favourite things of this year, I realise how busy I've been and how small the number of nights at home is. As a perfect illustration of this, I am writing this top 5 on my lunch break because I have been unable to find the time to do it in the past 2 weeks. Don't get me wrong, it was a GREAT year, I saw so many amazing bands, places and artists but I also had a lot of these scary blanks after the 'what have you been up to recently?' question. So, anyway, let's get to it:

1) Frànçois & the Atlas Mountains finally getting the recognition they deserve.
I've known Frànçois for about 6 years now, we met in Brighton when he played guitar for Ray Rumours at the Ladyfest. After the show, being the only Frenchies around, we had a nice chat and he gave me a copy of his first album Les anciennes falaises. I fell in love with his music after just one listen, tracks like Revu or Katrina were absolutely striking. Over the years, we became friends and I've always tried to support him as much as I could, mainly by taking all my friends to his shows, playing his music to everyone I knew etc. I've always thought that Frànçois should get more success that he was getting and finally this year by signing on Domino and releasing E Volo Love in France (on Jan 23rd in the UK), he's had a tremendous success. What I've always loved about Frànçois' music is that it's getting better with time and every time I see him, he does something different. His creating process is constant, which makes everything so much more exciting. He's coming to the UK for a tour in January, don't miss him, this is the last chance to see him in small venues before he gets the success he deserves so much here too.



2) Electrelane reforming
It's always hard to do a end of the year top 5 but when it's a year in which your favourite band ever has reformed, then it's easy! This summer, we saw the return of Electrelane after a 4 year hiatus and it was amazing to see them stronger as ever. All the songs sounded fantastic, they were enjoying themselves and how good was that cover of Smalltown Boy?!



3) Very good albums
This year was a great year for albums, here is my top 10:
PJ Harvey – Let England Shake
Frànçois & the Atlas Mountains – E Volo Love
Metronomy – The English Riviera
Austra – Feel It Break
Veronica Falls - Veronica Falls

Stranded Horse – Humbling Tides
Still Corners – Creatures of an Hour
Yuck – Yuck
I Break Horses – Hearts
Britney Spears – Femme Fatale

4) Amazing festivals
This year was very very good on the festival side. I went to End of the Road for the first time and OH MY DAYS, these 'best small festival' awards were well deserved! Everything is so special there: the line-up is a complete killer (and it's looking already very good for next year), the site is gorgeous, the food is deliciiiious and the whole atmosphere makes it totally amazing!
I also went to Primavera for the first time and you know all your friends who have been and always say 'olalala it's the best festival ever, I can't believe you've never been, you HAVE TO COME next year', they're annoying, aren't they? Well, now I'm one of them. Same as End of the Road: killer line-up + amazing food (try the chocolate cake of the pro area) + crazy site + Barcelona = winner!
And finally, I went to this totally cool new festival called 'Concerts Sauvages'. The concept is this: it takes place in a skiing resort and they've put stages on the slopes and you have to ski to the gigs. It's very coolos. Line-up wasn't mind-blowing but the idea is good enough to make it a great experience.

5) Going to the Brits
I've always loved awards ceremonies and this year, I got to go to the NRJ Music Awards which was fun (mainly for Usher and seeing French legend Mylène Farmer) but a bit long and had too much Shakira. But the best thing was that Ben and I went to the Brit Awards at the O2 and THAT WAS SOMETHING! Take That opening the whole thing was very impressive and then we witnessed an O2 going complete silent for the astonishing performance of Someone Like You by Adele. But let's be honest here, Arcade Fire, Mumford & Sons etc, whatever, the key performance was RIHANNA. Ben and I completely lost our minds and screamed like teenage girls, IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!



Have a lovely Christmas and see you next year xx