24.12.10

Being inappropriate with Dannii Minogue

I’m French. That means that before moving to the UK, I HAD NO IDEA WHO CHERYL COLE WAS. And of course, when I started studying the subject, I became kind of obsessed, like you all (don’t even try to deny it). Watching the X Factor, I was fascinated by this accent, so different from what I was expecting to come out of Cheryl’s mouth. I think I expected butterflies to come out actually. All this to say, that at first all my attention was on Cheryl instead of Dannii: MISTAKE.

This year, Cheryl Cole aka I-don’t-have-an-opinion-on-anything (HELLO: the guy asked “who did you prefer yesterday?”, that means you need to give a name, NOT say “Oh I liked them all”) was utterly boring and I started getting more interested in Dannii. I mean, Dannii’s life is such a great pop drama example: the failed sister of one of the biggest popstars ever. Failed? Let’s study the question a bit: the highlights of Danni’s music career were basically when Kylie had a shit year. Not so great. But Dannii was the trashy pop sister, she released songs in the 90s, that I’m pretty sure David Guetta is jealous of today. She was also involved in a lesbian stripper scandal = I love Dannii. And more importantly, DANNII GAVE US "I BEGIN TO WONDER", which is an amazing song. You can’t deny it, it’s a great song, check it out.



Don’t you just love how bad the video is? Drying her armpits with the hand-dryer, WTF? Wait! IT GETS BETTER! Today, Dannii clearly has a better stylist than Cheryl Cole (compare the hair and the dresses of this season of X Factor) but not in the noughties! Doing some research on Youtube recently, I found this hard-to-believe video of a live performance of “I Begin To Wonder” where pretty much EVERYTHING IS WRONG: Danni’s dancers, Dannii’s hair, Dannii’s shirt, Dannii's haaaaan noises, Dannii’s dirty looks to the camera etc. But you may say: horrendously short skirt and dirty looks – that’s what pop music is about. Huum, the only issue here is that THE AUDIENCE IS MADE MAINLY OF 8 YEARS OLD! Genius.